How easy is it to access personalised medical services, and COVID-19 vaccination status for travel via the NHS App.
Demand has spiked Since the inclusion of COVID-19 vaccine status added on 17 May with over 2 million new users.
But we found problems with the apps request for users to ‘prove who they are using photo ID’ to which users have to carry out a face recognition by recording a video.
There is also a non-photo id option but this failed to work in our tests. This is not reassuring, what with the scandalous issues with the covid track and trace app.
The NHS App provides a wide range of personalised services, including:
- GP appointment booking
- ordering repeat prescriptions
- viewing GP and hospital records
- registering organ donation preference
- The app does not track and trace.
Health and Social Care Secretary Matt Hancock said:
- Technology undoubtedly plays a huge role in how we deliver healthcare now and in the future and it is great to see so many people downloading, using and benefitting from the NHS App.
- It is vital we embrace the momentum we have built in using technology and innovation in the health and care sector over the last year as we look beyond the pandemic to improve treatment, care, and patients’ experiences.
The app is one of the first internationally compliant systems in the world to demonstrate vaccine status. The COVID-19 vaccine status service allows users to easily show their proof of vaccine, if required for international travel, and has been designed in line with World Health Organization (WHO) interim guidance.
Simon Bolton, Interim Chief Executive at NHS Digital was please with the popularity of the app. But has he used it fully!!
Minister for Innovation Lord Bethell said ‘the NHS App is a fantastic tool’ but did he actually use it or just praise it !!
Between 17 May and 15 June 2021, there have been 2,737,842 new users to the NHS App.
Between 17 May and 14 June 2021, 4,902,183 distinct users logged into the NHS App.
Between 17 May and the end of 14 June 2021, via the NHS App there were:
- 51,406 organ donation preferences made
- 614,096 prescriptions requested
- 50,826 appointments booked
This compares with the month of April 2021:
- 1,521,361 distinct users log in
- 9,232 organ donation registrations
- 393,009 repeat prescription orders
- 30,238 appointments booked